winkens architecture - about us - practice profile
t. +353(0)53 9126605
Winkens architecture was founded by my late father Egon Winkens in 1954.
Having followed him into architecture, I now continue to run the family practice.
Egon collaborated with reknowned architect Richard J. Neutra in California for many
years before settling in Ireland. Many of the design philosophies that Neutra endorsed
such as open plan living, building in harmony with the surrounding environment
and utilising solar gain, are still central to our design work today.
We do not have plans "on the shelf", every design is
uniquely tailored for each client and site -
incorporating likes, dislikes, budget, site and planning restraints.
Our dwellings blend into the contryside rather than impose.
NO design in this office has ever been used twice.We welcome first time Home builders and can guide you
from choosing a site (feasiblity) all the way until
you move in (cerificate of complicance).
We carry the necessary indemnity insurance.You decide the level of services needed.
We offer a range of architectural and planning services to domestic
and commercial clients. Whether the work is for a private individual or
an international company, we deliver a service that is both personal and competent,
using Computer aided design and three dimensional modelling.
- feasibility studies and site evaluations for planning
- architectural design
- 3dimensional computer modelling
- planning applications
- planning appeals
- Tender & contract documents
- site / building supervision
- health and safety statement
- mortgage report, architect's interim certificates
(for mortgage draw downs)
- certificate of compliance
- thermographic inspection
To ensure every project runs smoothly we have forged good links
- single residential design
- single residential extensions & remodelling
- residential estates (small to medium)
- apartment blocks (small to medium)
- new factory units & extensions
- home for the elderly (nursing home)
- child care centres (creche)
- new restaurant and also remodelling
with other dependable professionals.
Again You decide the level of services needed.
- Electronic levelled site surveying (Site surveyors)
- Soil testing for percolation area (Consulting engineer)
- Budget cost estimates (Quantity Surveyor)
- Bill of quantities (Quantity Surveyor)
- Structural engineering (Structural Enginners)
- Door blower testing (Specialist)
- Building energy ratings (BER assessors)
- Passive House Consultants (PPHP assesment)
For commercial applications also needed:
- Fire safety cert applications (Fire safety consultants)
- Disability Access Certificate (DAC)consultants.
constantly researching and using new technologies,
keeping up-to-date with the ever-changing market.Some of these technologies include:
- Passive solar gain
- Passive Haus Design
- PHPP - Passive House design calculations
- Minimise cold bridging
- Thermal imaging
- Airtight design
- Quinn Lite lightweight aircrete concrete blockwork
- Poroton honeycomb fired-clay blocks, single leaf exterior blockwork
- HotBlok, single leaf exterior blockwork
- Timber frame close panel walls
- Hempcrete walls
- Non structural Straw bale walls
- ICF (Insulated Concrete Formwork)
- Ecocem, Carbon Neutral Concrete
- Soybean based foam insulation systems
- NBT Pavaroof pitched system
- Smart Roofing system
- Ecostar Majestic Slates, AthyEcoSlate
- Solar space/water heating
- Solar electricity
- Domestic wind electricity
- Wetland drainage areas
- Waste water reed bed systems
- Rainwater harvesting systems
Fees shall be quoted in line with the services needed and provided.
After lengthly first talk, to ascertain the brief and scope of work,
a written fixed quotation will be given outlining services provided
and broken down into several stages.
There is no charge for the initial meeting or this quotation
and there is no obligation to proceed further.
Office hours Mon. to Fri. 9am to 5pm with a 1pm to 2pm break.
By appointment other times may be accommodated.
(Lunch time, early evenings or Saturdays)
Zeno Winkens Architect MRIAI, RIBA
(member of the Royal Institute of Irish Architects)
(and the Royal Institute of British
This site and the contents thereof (C) 2011 winkens architecture