Since its inception almost a decade ago the Higher Education Links Scheme, linking specific FETAC (NCVA Level 5) Awards to reserved places on Higher Education courses, has expanded and broadened its progression routes to third level education courses in a range of higher education institutions. For FETAC graduates there are twenty-nine higher education institutions including Universities, Institutes of Technology and private colleges offering places on a variety of courses.
For 2005, the Institutes of Technology and some other higher education institutions have introduced new pilot admissions criteria and scoring systems for FETAC (NCVA Level 5 and Level 6) Award applicants. This new arrangement intends to provide broader access and facilitate greater progression routes between all levels of the National Framework of Qualifications. Under this initiative the minimum entry requirement to:
- Higher Certificate (Level 6) courses or Ordinary Degree (Level 7) courses is any FETAC (NCVA Level 5 or 6) Award
- Honours Degree (Level 8) courses (with the exception of nursing) is a FETAC (NCVA Level 5 or Level 6) Award in a course in a cognate area and including a distinction in at least three modules
For some courses, including nursing there may be specific module and/or award requirements. Please see the third level college prospectus for such requirements.
Under this initiative, all course places are open to FETAC (NCVA Level 5 and Level 6) Award holders, along with Leaving Certificate applicants. Hence the quota of places under the Higher Education Links Scheme does not apply to this pilot scheme.
However, the Higher Education Links Scheme (where a quota of places are available) is continuing to operate for the Higher Education Institutions listed below:
- Dublin City University
- Dublin Institute of Technology
- Carlow College
- Mary Immaculate College
- University of Limerick
- Mater Dei College
- Milltown Institute
- National College of Art and Design
- NUI Maynooth
- Shannon College of Hotel Management
- University College Cork (NUI)
- University College Dublin (NUI)
For these colleges, there is a listing of specific FETAC (NCVA Level 5) Awards linked to certain courses in the above institutions. Please see the FETAC website for relevant information www.fetac.ie