What is External Wall Insulation?
External Wall Insulation Systems are an extremely effective method of improving the energy efficiency of your home and increasing the capital value of the home itself. It is a cladding system for exterior walls that is light weight, flexible, dynamic and extremely durable.
External Wall Insulation involves fixing insulating materials such as mineral wool or expanded polystyrene slabs to the outer surface of the wall. The insulation is then covered with a special render to provide weather resistance. A steel or fibreglass mesh is embedded in this render to provide strength and impact resistance. There is a significant selection of colours and finishes to choose from.
External Wall Insulation systems provide the following benefits
- Reduces unnecessary heat loss and CO2 emissions
- Reduces and usually eliminates condensation, mildew & fungal build up
- Low maintenance, no painting required, Colour stability/fade resistant. Extensive range of colours, stone / brick effect possible
- Durable and crack resistant. External insulation protects and prolongs the fabric of the building offers extraordinary rain and impact resistance and all all external insulation provided by EnergySolve comes with a 30 to 60 year guarantee
- Cost effective
Cost effectiveness is a relative term. External wall insulation is a significant upgrade to the structure of your home and consequently imposes significant cost. This cost should be measured relative to:
- Payback period; typically between 8 & 12 years
- Capital appreciation of the home; much, if not all of the expenditure is immediately recouped through capital appreciation of the value of the home
- Energy Savings: 40% savings on heating costs
Externally insulating your home results in a sustained positive environmental impact for you and your community. We’d like you to choose us to help you make a lasting environmental difference in world we live in. Contact us
Will the EWI increase the value of my Home?
Yes, significantly. You can expect to see a commensurate appreciable increase in the value of your home through External Wall Insulation Systems. Remember, not only does it make your home more energy efficient; it also gives you a completely new external wall. Consequently the external aesthetics of your home can be upgraded or refreshed.
Is there Grant Assistance available?
There is substantial (up to €4,000) worth of Grant Finance available for external insulation works. See our Grants page for more information on funding of energy efficient projects.
External Vs. Internal Insulation
The use of external, rather than internal insulation offers a number of practical advantages:
- There is little or no disturbance to the occupants and the possible additional cost of temporary re-housing is avoided.
- The problems of insulating internally around or behind internal fittings e.g. in kitchens and bathrooms, but also cupboards, shelves, power points etc. are avoided.
- Potential cold bridges at all internal/external wall and ceiling junctions are reduced or eliminated.
- In a complex building, it is comparatively easier to ensure that the whole of the external surface is insulated.
- The whole wall structure is protected so external surfaces are prevented from receiving further deterioration by being exposed to the weather.
- Internal condensation problems are alleviated and comfort levels are improved.
- The external appearance is improved markedly and whole estates of sub-standard dwellings can undergo a remarkable face-lift with all its consequent social and political benefits. Finally, the whole building obtains an additional structural protection which may significantly increase its expected life.
There are a number of ways in which wall insulation can be increased and improved. The payback period will depend on a number of factors including type, thickness and quality of existing insulation.
- Rigid external wall insulation with render, monocoushe (Parex) or pebble-dashed finish
- Complete Clean Up on Instalment Completion
- Free Consult
- Grant Procurement Assistance
- Up to 10% discount on other EnergySolve Products and Services
- 30 to 60 year Guarantees
Our SEAI number is 11946
Our NSAI number is IAB/EO28
Ensure your installer is SEAI and NCAI accredited