What is a prefabricated steel vehicle pit?
Unlike reinforced concrete or block and brick pits that are built 'in situ' on site, prefabricated pits are constructed in a factory under strict quality control conditions, then delivered in one piece to site ready for installation.
The pits are manufactured from mild steel sheets, MIG welded together to form water tight sumps. To these basic 'tanks' are added standard items such as jacking rails, Category 3- (zone 2) lights and an air line, as well as non standard items requested by the customer and various safety features.
Typical users include:
- Transport and logistics companies
- Coach operators
- Bus companies
- Train and tram operators
- Airports for tow rigs etc
- Ministry of Defence
- Supermarket chains
Advantages over 'In situ' concrete
Pits prefabricated from steel are fast replacing traditional pits built using reinforced concrete or bricks and blocks. This is not surprising when they offer the following benefits.
- Quicker Installation
- More accurate costing
- Better quality control
- Easily maintained
- Loadings easily calculated
- Integral straight jacking rail
- Fully sealed to stop the ingress of water and gases or the escape of harmful fluids such as oils and chemicals.
- No spalling or concrete cancer
- No staining