Endpoint Power Management Software | Wake-on-LAN
security, management software, it security
Desktop And Laptop
Endpoint Power Management reduces overall IT power consumption and costs without sacrificing productivity or security.
Endpoint Power Management Business Issues & Challenges
Optimization is often what determines business success, particularly in a challenging economic environment. As organizations search for ways to reduce their overhead costs and improve their competitive stance, the use of a PC power management solution can deliver dramatic operating cost savings. Organizations can save $60 per machine by deploying power management policies. The challenge for many organizations is that IT environments are complex, and enforcing desktop power management policies can be burdensome if they are not centralized. Further, it is imperative that end-user productivity is not diminished and that visibility of IT assets is not impaired due to systems being dormant.
As organizations attempt to achieve IT cost savings by reducing PC power consumption, oftentimes security is put at bay - machines in the network that are offline or configured to sleep mode may not receive necessary patches or software updates. These operational "blind-spots" hinder effective endpoint management and reduce overall security. For example, in the case of a zero-day vulnerability, organizations must be able to access their IT environments in order to deploy risk-mitigating configurations and patches.
With Lumension's Endpoint Power Management solution, organizations can easily define and enforce power conservation policies, and automatically bring offline systems back online to perform system maintenance and/or IT security updates (including patching and configurations) during off peak work hours so that organizational productivity is not impacted. The end result is a more efficient and secure IT environment. Lumension's endpoint power management solution enables organizations to:
- Dramatically reduce PC power consumption and IT TCO by defining and enforcing system-wide power management policies across endpoints without requiring additional investment in stand-alone power-management products.
- Effectively demonstrate the value of reduced power consumption through enhanced power management reporting and use this information to apply for potential power savings rebates from your local power company.
- Ensure continuous compliance with green IT policies through ongoing monitoring of desktop and laptop uptime.
Features & Benefits
|Key Product Features ||Benefit |
- Easy-to-use, wizard-based creation and deployment of PC power policy settings, including: standby, hibernation and sleep timing based on user, and system inactivity.
Simplifies Creation and Management of Power Policies
- Optimizes IT operations and facilitates the enforcement of green policies in complex, distributed environments without relying on GPOs or impacting user productivity.
Hours of Operation Maintenance Windows
- Conveniently set regular endpoint wake up times during hours of operation, centrally deploy agent tasks to both online and offline machines and control machines individually, by group, or globally across domains – regardless of time zones.
Increased Visibility and Control Over the IT Environment
- By eliminating operational and security “blind-spots” through both scheduled and emergency maintenance windows organizations can effectively manage their distributed endpoints while also taking advantage of aggressive power policies that power-down inactive systems.
- Promotable agent architecture allows any agent to be easily converted and act as a relay to broadcast WOL packages throughout your IT environment. Devices can be commanded to “wake up” at any given time to deploy a highly critical patch or urgent software update.
Improved Security at a Lower TCO
- Enables rapid deployment of critical updates to machines that have been offline and provides the benefit of power management policies without having to sacrifice security efforts or employee productivity.
| Integrated Power Management Reporting |
- Take advantage of potential power savings rebates from local power management companies or for showing a reduction in the overall carbon footprint through power consumption and power savings reports.
| Optimize Power Savings |
- Monetize the effect of the power management policies with integrated power savings reports.
| Continuous Power Monitoring |
- Measure actual endpoint uptime and states, such as on/monitor off/sleep, and more. A Power Usage Dashboard provides comprehensive management and easy audit control.
| Enforce Green IT Policies |
- Ensure continuous compliance with green IT policies through ongoing power monitoring.
Lumension® Endpoint Power Management is comprised of the following licensable modules:
Minimum Requirements – Lumension® Endpoint Management and Security Suite: Patch and Remediation Server
|Requirements ||Version |
|Hardware ||A dual-core processor (any speed) |
1 GB RAM
36 GB of available disk space
A single 100 Mbps network connection (with access to the Internet)
|Operating System ||Microsoft® Windows Server 2003, Web Edition with SP2 or later (x86) |
Microsoft® Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition with SP2 or later (x86)
Microsoft® Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition with SP2 or later (x86)
Microsoft® Windows Server 2003 R2, Web Edition with SP2 or later (x86)
Microsoft® Windows Server 2003 R2, Standard Edition with SP2 or later (x86)
Microsoft® Windows Server 2003 R2, Enterprise Edition with SP2 or later (x86)
Microsoft® Windows Server 2008, Web Edition (x86/x64)
Microsoft® Windows Servers 2008, Standard Edition (x86/x64)
Microsoft® Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Edition (x86/x64)
Microsoft® Windows Server 2008 R2, Web Edition (x64)
Microsoft® Windows Server 2008 R2, Standard Edition (x64)
Microsoft® Windows Server 2008 R2, Enterprise Edition (x64)
Note: Lumension Endpoint Management and Security Suite must be installed on an English operating system using any English locale (en-US, en-UK, en-CA, and so on) in its default configuration.
|SQL Server ||Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with SP2 (x86) |
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition with SP2 (x86)
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition with SP2 (x86)
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition with SP2 (x86)
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition with SP2 (x86/x64)
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition with SP2 (x86/x64)
Supported database servers can be installed in the following locations relative to the Lumension Endpoint Management and Security Suite server:
- Locally in named instances installed by Lumension Endpoint Management and Security Suite.
- Locally in named or default instances that are preexisting.
- Remotely in named or default instances that are preexisting.
Note: If an instance of SQL Server is not present on your target server, SQL Server 2008, Express Edition with SP1 is installed with Lumension Endpoint Management and Security Suite (if you are not using a remote instance of SQL Server).
|Internet Server ||Microsoft® Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 or later |
|.NET Framework ||Microsoft .NET Framework version 3.5 |
|Web browsers ||Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or greater |
Mozilla®Firefox® 3.0 or greater.
Agent Coverage - Supported Client Operating Systems
|Operating System ||Version/Edition ||Architecture |
|Microsoft Windows Server 2003 ||All |
(excluding Datacenter editions)
|Microsoft Windows XP ||Professional |
(excluding Home, Media Center and Tablet PC editions)
|Microsoft Windows Vista ||All (excluding Home and Starter editions) ||x86 |
|Microsoft Windows 7 ||Professional |
|Microsoft Windows Server 2008 ||All (excluding Core and Datacenter editions) ||x86 |
|Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 ||Web |
- Gartner Research, PC Power Management Activation Leads to Significant Power and Cost Savings, January 2009
The information in this article was current at 02 Dec 2011
, it security
, Management Business
, management software
, Power Consumption
, Power Management Software
, Power Management Solution
, Sql Server