Top Ten Tips for building a national web portal.
1. Ensure your developer understands what your looking for.
2. When building your site make sure you have access to it to make changes etc (called a content management system “cms”)
3. Make sure your URLs are search engine friendly i.e do not contain any question marks.
4. If you are planning to sell or charge online use a secured services e.g Realex, Paypal etc
5. Update new content on a regular basis.
6. Use analytics to monitor progress e.g Google analytics
7. Google also have a “webmasters tools” which will show you broken links, short meta tags, missing titles etc.
8. Get your site listed on Internet directories to improve rank.
9. Use Google adwords to improve weak keywords.
10. Be patient there are millions of websites and search engines may take time to acknowledge that your site is providing unique and invaluable information.
“Always imagine your website as a business card in a box with 1000 others. People will take the first few from the top of the box and will call the ones that explain the services they provide in the most efficient way.”
So always ensure that
1. You can be found in the top of the box.
2. The information you provide is displayed in a simple but efficient way.