Change in personal circumstances ?
- Have you married in the past 4 years?
- Have you had children? Does a child have an illness or disability i.e. Downs Syndrome/Autism etc
- Have you separated from a spouse or partner and have a child?
You may be entitled to a year of marriage review, one parent family claim, transfer of credits from spouse to spouse, incapacitated child tax credit?
A year of marriage review can be very beneficial if one spouse had not fully untilised their tax credits or cut off band. If you got married at any time from 2006 – 2009, a year of marriage review can still be completed.
Moved between employments during any year ?
- Have you moved between employments and were in receipt of jobseekers benefit in the interims?
You may have not utilised your full tax credits. Your employer may not have refunded your tax from a previous employment. You may be entitled to a tax refund.
This is often very relevant to individuals who have worked in the construction industry.
Unclaimed Medical Expenses ?
Prescriptions, doctor, hospital treatment, coeliac and diabetic foods, IVF treatment, Laser Eye surgery & more.
Worried that you have not kept receipts? Many doctors and especially chemists have your records ready to be printed on their computer system.
Employee Credits ?
You may be entitled to additional tax credits based on your occupation for example
- Bar Employee – €93 per year
- Labourer in Construction Industry – €97 per year
- Carpenter – €220 per year
- Waiter/Waitress – €97/€64 per year
and many many more….
A review of these expenses for the last 4 years could result in a refund ….
Made Redundant ?
- You may be entitled to a refund of tax credits even if in receipt of jobseekers benefit. You may also be entitled to a Health Levy refund and Income Levy refund in certain circumstances.
- If you received a taxable lump sum payment – you may be entitled to an additional tax refund – Top Slicing Relief claim & Many More…
Home Carer Tax credit
This is avaiable for married couples where one spouse has no earnings (i.e. wages or social welfare) but have at least one child under 17 years of age/19 years of age where in full time education. However, this is also available to married couples where one spouse has no income but either have no children or children exceed the relevant age limits but their parents live with, beside or within 2 kms of their home.
Rent Tax Relief
The rent tax credit has a (maximum) cash value for 2008 – 2010 of €400 per year. Previous to this it has a cash value of €330 per year. This can be quite a significant tax saving over a 4 year period.
This credit is not available where the rental property is a Local Authority house.
Service charges credits
Tax relief is also available for bin/water charges paid. The value of same can amount to up to €80 per tax year. And remember you can make a claim for the previous 4 tax years.
Trade union subscriptions
Subscriptions to trade unions can result in a cash value tax credit of €60 for the tax years 2006 & 2007 and €70 for the tax years 2008 & 2009. This could result in a refund of €260.
Tuition fees (for qualifying college courses) and many more ….
Mortgage Interest Relief on top-up loans & mortgages in the last 7 years