Assisted Living Services - Irish Wheelchair Association
Assisted Living Services, disability, personal assistant
IWA's Assisted Living Services provide the services of a personal assistant to individuals with a physical or sensory disability. The services are provided in the individuals' homes and communities, facilitating community participation, access to education/employment and improved quality of life. The service enables users to have maximum control of their own services.
Objectives of the service
- To provide personal assistant services which are person-centred and agreed in consultation with the service user;
- To provide a tailored personal assistant service to meet each individual's needs;
- To provide a service which focuses on promoting choice, independence and quality of life for its users.
What is the function of a Personal Assistant?
A Personal Assistant carries out tasks that the person with a disability might find difficult or impossible to do in their daily lives. Assistance is tailored to the wishes and needs of the person with a disability.
Tasks undertaken by an Assistant
Tasks will vary depending on the needs of each individual and may include some or all of the following types of assistance:
- Personal care, including showering, bathing, toileting, transferring to bed/wheelchair etc;
- Essential cooking, feeding and domestic support;
- Social support e.g. trips to shops, social events, outings etc;
- Essential overnight/weekend services;
- Assistance for access to employment or education.
How is the service managed?
Two service packages are available from the Assisted Living Services
- Self-directed or leader-managed package
In a self-directed or leader-managed package, the person with the disability acts as the leader or service manager for IWA. This involves recruiting their own personal assistants, organising their weekly rosters, returning their timesheets, arranging holiday cover, etc. The leader can consult the service coordinator when necessary.
- Supported package
In the supported package, the service coordinator takes responsibility for some or all of the management, delivery and operation of the service
, Assisted Living Services
, personal assistant