Acetylene - Products - Irish Oxygen Company Ltd

By: Irish Oxygen Company  05/12/2011
Keywords: gas, welding, Physical Properties

Acetylene is a fuel gas used in welding. It comes dissolved in acetone in cylinders and is very common in workshops, garages and maintenance facilities. Being a highly flammable gas, its storage and use is therefore subject to stringent safety precautions.


  • Highly flammable
  • Colourless
  • Sweet garlic odour
  • Non-toxic


Approximately 80% of the acetylene produced is used in chemical synthesis. The remaining 20% is used primarily for oxy-acetylene gas welding and cutting due to the high temperature of the flame. Combustion of acetylene with oxygen produces a flame of over 3300 °C (6000 °F) -- Oxy-acetylene is the hottest burning fuel gas.

Physical Properties

Acetylene, symbol C2H2, is a gas similar in density to air with an odour of sweet garlic. It is the simplest alkyne hydrocarbon, consisting of two hydrogen atoms and two carbon atoms connected by a triple bond. Because it contains a triple bond, acetylene is an unsaturated chemical compound.

Gas Acetylene
Chemical formula C2H2
Molecular weight 26.0
Gas density 1.097 Kg/m3
SG vapour 0.91
Boiling point -81°C
Critical temperature 35.6°C
Critical pressure 61.9 bar


Acetylene is produced by mixing calcium carbide with water. The resultant reaction is highly exothermic and must be cooled by adding extra water. Acetylene effervesces and calcium hydroxide (hydrated lime) is a further product. It is then purified and dried and dissolved into acetone soaked in a porous mass under pressure in steel cylinders. Acetylene is also produced in chemical plants but normally the gas produced in such plants is used as feedstock in the same plant for further chemical synthesis.

Keywords: acetylene, Critical Temperature, gas, Gas Density, Physical Properties, welding

Contact Irish Oxygen Company


Print this page


Other products and services from Irish Oxygen Company


Argon - Products - Irish Oxygen Company Ltd

It is used to provide a shielding atmosphere in welding, metal fabrication, aluminium processing, micro-electronics, glass coating, and other industrial processes. In the air extraction process, crude liquid argon is formed in the distillation column of an air separation unit. Argon, symbol Ar, is an inert gaseous element that is the third most prevalent gas in the earth's atmosphere.


Butane - Products - Irish Oxygen Company Ltd

When blended with Propane and other hydrocarbons, it is referred to commercially as LPG. Sweet odour but usually a stenchant is added for safety. It is sold bottled as a fuel for cooking and camping. Butane is a hydrocarbon fuel refined from crude oil.


Carbon Dioxide - Products - Irish Oxygen Company Ltd

Carbon dioxide is recovered from the fermentation processes and as a by-product in the commercial production of ammonia. Carbon dioxide's inert qualities make it useful for preventing or suppressing combustion or oxidisation. It is often used to balance the pH of water in preference to the addition of mineral acids. The gas dissolves easily in water, making the resultant solution slightly acidic.