Solar / Thermal
Flat Plate Collector
Our Solar Flat Plate Collectors is made up of a metal sheet (copper), to which a selective surface coating has been applied allowing for very efficient heat absorption. The high quality Sunselect absorber coating and optimised thermal insulation keep energy losses to a minimum. Copper pipes are soldered to the back of the absorber plate. A robust aluminium frame is placed around the pipes and absorber plate, thus ensuring maximum durability. As frost protected, non toxic solar fluid is circulated through the solar panel, heat is transferred from the absorber plate to the water, which is then circulated through the system to the hot water cylinder.
Our top quality flat plate collectors are ideal for all projects interested in renewable energy. All of our products are included in the Greener Scheme Registered Product List.
Useful Design Points for Solar Flat Plate Collectors
For a solar thermal system to work to its optimum capacity a south facing roof is ideal. However, it is still possible to install a solar water heating system if your home has an east-west orientation by increasing the area of panel installed. One option is to mount one panel on the east orientation to collect heat in the morning, with another panel on the west orientation to collect the heat in the afternoon. It is not advisable to place solar panels on a north-facing roof.
In addition, this roof area cannot be overshaded by nearby buildings, trees or other objects. The panel should be placed at an angle between 25o to 60o. The variety of installation methods ensures that almost any type of building can have a solar thermal system installed.
Installation Methods for Solar Flat Plate Collectors
There are several methods of installation available when choosing a Solar system:
- In roof system (Integrated roof light installation), whereby panels would be mounted once felt and battens are before the roof is slated/tiled, making them more flush with the roof. This system is most commonly used in new builds.
- On roof system (Roof mounted installation). This system is mounted on an existing roof, on both new and existing buildings. The panels can be mounted both landscape and portrait style.
- Facade style system. If there is no roof space available we can mount a system on your wall.
- Canopy style.
- Flat roof system. Panels can also be fitted on a steel frame either in the garden or on a flat roof surface using our A frame steel framework.
- On an adjacent building, i.e. garage