Copyright Infringement Software | NetFort Technologies
The presence of unlicensed copyright material on the network is a signficant problem
for many organizations. In addition to the risk of financial penalties if found to
be in breach of copyright laws, valuable bandwidth and storage resources are consumed
with the storage and distribution of music and video files.
LANGuardian can alert you to possible copyright infringements in several different
- Custom reports showing the presence of music and video files on the
network. For example, you could create a report that lists files with any of the following extensions:
- .mp3, .aac, .ogg, .wma, .wav, .avi, .wmv, .rar
- Traffic reports showing transmission of media file types across
- Reports showing downloads of media file types from the Internet.
- Reports showing downloads from known file-sharing sites such as Rapidshare,
MegaUploads and Hotfile.
- Monitoring traffic on default peer-to-peer ports such as 6346 (LimeWire TCP), 6347 (LimeWire UDP),
4662 (eMule TCP), 4672 (eMule UDP), 6881 (BitTorrent TCP) and 6889 (BitTorrent UDP).
- Tracking a specific download to a named user in response to a notice issued under the United States
Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
While these reports will also include files that are legitimately downloaded and stored on the network, you can use the drill-down capabilities of the user interface to quickly identify suspect files and behavior.