So what services does Gort Cancer Support provide?
Gort Cancer Support is a drop-in facility. As a drop-in, non-referral service no appointment is necessary, except for some of the specialist complementary holistic therapies. Feel free to call in to the centre and meet the trained volunteers. There are usually two volunteers on duty at any one time. Enjoy a cup of tea, a chat, read a magazine, pick up a book or find out more about the support services that may be available to you and your loved ones.
The following services are available through our drop-in facilities
• Psychological support - A listening service where volunteers will empathize with your experiences and where you can verbalise your concerns, worries and feelings in a confidential, caring setting. Talking with a trusted friend, family member, counsellor or trained listener has been shown to relieve stress and promote coping. All our listeners have been trained in listening skills and in the importance of confidentiality.
• Information resources - news & information issues related to cancer, positive health and other areas of importance to individuals with cancer.
•Useful Contacts such as emails or phone numbers of support services.
• Useful Website Links.
• Tea, coffee and a chat!
Please note that we cannot provide any specific information on the medical, nursing, complementary therapies or pharmaceutical issues relating to your condition. This will need to be referred back to the appropriate specialist in that field, such as your surgeon, oncologist, GP, nurse, pharmacist, dietitian, complementary practitioner and so on.
Furthermore, if you wish to avail of any of the complementary holistic therapies, this must be agreed with your doctor prior to commencing any therapy (see: Disclaimer below).
Services and Complementary Therapies (by Appointment/ prior arrangement only) include:
• Guest speakers
• Counselling/psychotherapy (on a short term basis) to help you to deal with difficult feelings
• Art Therapy
• Reflexology & Reiki
• Transport to treatment centres/hospitals
• Once off financial assistance (certain conditions apply).
Call in to the centre or call/text 086 172 4500 for further information or an application form.
Client confidentiality remains our priority.
- Chill out time!
General Pointers regarding complementary therapies
• Always ask for credentials and references, if appropriate.
• Ensure you feel comfortable with the therapist.
• Do not permit any complementary therapists to persuade you to abandon medical treatments solely in favour of their approaches to care.
• Be extremely careful not to block book a large course of any therapy in advance. You may find they do not suit or benefit you and you may then find it extremely difficult to get your money back.
• Be sceptical of any promises of “miracle cures”.