Coaching » Shirley Kavanagh Associates
Embarking on a coaching programme is an important investment in terms of both time and money. Make sure you are maximising your investment, through some clear planning before you work with a coach. Here are some guidelines to help you make the most out of your coaching arrangement.
What is Coaching?
- Coaching provides you with an opportunity to work with an expert on a one to one basis.
- It is a confidential working arrangement which will allow you to test your thinking and also review your activities and progress, in a safe and confidential environment.
Where to start
- Clarify your objectives. What do you want to get from this intervention?
- Is it a short term intervention (under 3 months) or are you looking for something longer term (up to 12 months).
- Ensure you have a close off date for the arrangement. Best not to have it drift on. The most effective coaching assignments are those that have clear objectives and a start and end date.
Selecting a Coach
- Look for someone with experience in your field and also at the level at which you operate.
- Create your own selection criteria against which you can assess suitability.
- Arrange a no commitment exploratory meeting during which you can assess the suitability of the coach with whom you are working.
- Look for reference points. A good coach should readily arrange for you to speak with existing clients. Ensure that the referees are appropriate in terms of their experience and level of expertise.
Some extra Tips
- The arrangement is intense and you should ensure that there is a rapport between you and your selected coach. Meet a number of coaches before you make up your mind, review each against your selection criteria and then chose the most appropriate person.
- Review the fee structure, good coaches don’t come cheap! So, carefully review the fee structure, remember you should view the intervention as an investment in your development.
Once you have engaged a coach make sure you make the time, keep the activity as a priority and keep your appointments. Find somewhere to hold your meetings where you won’t be interrupted. This is time for you!
Contact Executive Support
Email - none provided
Print this page