This is a FETAC level 6 Manual Handling instructors course. It is a
five-day course delivered in two modules over three weeks and is
suitable for ten participants. We provide this course for organisations
who wish to train a group of employees to be manual handling
instructors. Successful participants will receive a FETAC level 6 award
in ‘Manual Handling Instruction’.
The main aim of the manual handling instructor-training course is to
provide the participants with the knowledge and skills necessary to
develop and deliver effective training courses in manual handling in the
Course participants should preferably be in a supervisory or
management role in their work area in order to have the authority and
credibility to deliver effective training courses and to facilitate
change in handling practices when necessary.
They should have good communication skills and be interested in doing the course.
The course content covers all the topics required to achieve the
learning outcomes in the FETAC standard ‘Instructing Manual Handling’
- Information on relevant health and safety legislation
- Information on the structure and function of the back and on how to keep the back healthy
- Information on how injuries may occur and on how to prevent injuries occurring
- The relevance of ergonomics to manual handling tasks
- Manual handling assessments and implementation of control measures
- Principles of safer handling
- Practical inanimate handling techniques
- Problem solving skills for more complex handling tasks
- Use of a range of manual handling equipment
- Presentation/Instructional skills
Each participant will receive a comprehensive set of course notes and a sample training presentation CD.