Cold Weather Conditions General Advice > Services
Cold Weather Conditions General Advice > Services >
Services » Corporate Affairs
Cold Weather Conditions General Advice
In the event of severe weather conditions Cork City council wishes to provide the following advice to the public
- Be careful when walking or driving in cold conditions — it may have turned to ice.
- Check on vulnerable neighbours.
- Wear good footwear to avoid slips, trips and falls.
- Avoid travelling in hazardous conditions.
- If you have to make a journey when snow is forecast, try to wait until the roads have been gritted before travelling. Drivers should adjust speed to suit the weather conditions. Black ice poses a particular hazard as it may not be visible to motorists and pedestrians.
- Allow extra time and drive with caution. Let someone know your route and when you expect to arrive.
To avoid Frozen Pipes:
- Wrap a towel around an outside tap. Leave a light on in the attic.
- Open Attic trap door to allow heat in. Leave heating on longer than normal.
- Place a piece of insulation e.g. carpet/matting over your external stopcock.