Colt Service is part of the Colt Group of Companies, one of Europe's leading, independent providers of specialist building services, with its headquarters in Havant, Hampshire. Colt Service offers mechanical and electrical, preventative and reactive maintenance throughout the Commercial, Industrial, Retail and Leisure sectors.
Fields of expertise
- Smoke Control Systems
- Mechanical and powered Heat and Exhaust Ventilators
- Smoke Containment Systems
- Climate Control Systems
- Solar Control Systems
- Their associated controls and ancillaries
Colt Service offers maintenance services on the above equipment regardless of the manufacturer.
What Do We Mean By Service?
Service means providing our customers with a tailored maintenance regime to ensure optimum product performance, whilst ensuring that legislative obligations are met. In the event of equipment malfunction, service means a fast and efficient call-out and repair process.
Why preventative maintenance?
No matter how well equipment has been designed, manufactured, installed and commissioned, the possibility for failure cannot be ignored.
Programmed preventative maintenance can extend the life of an item, and reduce the likelihood of down-time. Such a programme also may permit the equipment to be updated in line with the latest technological advances and standards.
For life safety equipment such as Smoke Control Systems, the building operator or owner is required by law to provide a suitable system of maintenance to maintain the system in an efficient state, in efficient working order and in good repair. This is a requirement of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. Furthermore the DCLG Guides to the regulations suggest that "The smoke control system should be maintained by a competent person who is familiar with the fire engineering performance specifications of that specific system." Colt can advise you on the scope of these Regulations. For further information, please
(0.7 MB) to read an article in Facilities Management Journal (October 2008).
The regulations do not specify a maximum time interval for maintenance, but BS 5588-12 recommends annual maintenance of smoke control systems.
What services are offered?
Colt offers a range of services which may be tailored to meet your exact requirements:
- Programmed preventative maintenance. We will work to ensure that your equipment is in optimum running order. For customers with a maintenance contract an emergency helpdesk is available with an out of hours call out facility, which is manned 24 hours, 365 days a year. A test certificate will be issued for Smoke Control Systems.
- A free full system check will be carried out approximately 9 months after a Smoke Control System has been installed and commissioned by Colt. Besides the opportunity to check that the system is performing as designed, this will allow for any further training of local personnel that may be necessary. Assuming that this visit falls within the warranty period, any defective parts are replaced free of charge. A test certificate will be issued.
- Emergency call-out.
- Spares support.
- Repair and refurbishment.
- Advice on regulatory compliance and certification for Smoke Control Systems.
- Design support, to assist the building owner or operator in optimizing the scheme, should alterations to the building fabric or function be necessary. If required our design teams will carry out a survey in order to achieve the optimum solution, with the backup of the know-how of the Colt Group.
In all cases both labour and parts are covered for 12 months unless otherwise agreed.
How are these services delivered?
We maintain a detailed database of equipment as well as details of failure modes going back many years, which enables us to best plan maintenance schedules.
Colt understands the importance of providing a responsive and communicative helpdesk, which is the key to be able to deliver the quality service required by our customers.
Our national network of directly employed service personnel ensures that we deliver on our promise to attend callouts within 24 hours, and on average will be within 4 hours of the call being logged with the helpdesk.
Colt's service teams offer a fast response, round the clock service to supporting both Colt's own and other manufacturers' products. We ensure quick delivery of spare parts, with many from our own stocks.
Our Service Engineers are located right throughout the UK enabling a prompt and cost effective response in an emergency. See the
for approximate locations of our Area Managers and Service Engineers.
We will respond flexibly to meet the needs and demands of your business.
We have developed detailed service specifications for all equipment maintained, to ensure that the work is carried out to highest standards.
Our Service Engineers have many years of experience and all are electrically qualified.
Area Managers ensure that regular contact is maintained with our customers, and for new or major contracts they survey the site before an engineer arrives.
Our policy is where possible to assign the same Engineer for every visit. This ensures continuity of service and knowledge of the site and equipment.
- Operates to ISO 9001:2000 and ISO 14001:2004.
- Is a member of SafeContractor
- Offers a Level 2 Risk Assessment in fire safety in accordance with the Regulatory Reform Order. All assessors have been trained by the British Safety Council.