- UCC Services

By: Collegeroad  05/12/2011

uLink Peer Support

Volunteer Peer Support Leaders Wanted


You are invited to apply to be a Peer Support Leader with uLink Peer Support for the academic year 2011/2012.  Join our team of peer support leaders to help first years make the transition to college.

Becoming a Peer Support Leader will give you the opportunity to:

·         help and guide first years in their transition to University

·         provide support to first year students throughout the academic year

·         increase your self-confidence

·         develop personal skills such as communication, interpersonal and leadership

·         your skills and motivation to help others will stand out on your CV

·         contribute to improving student life in UCC

·         be part of a new and exciting student-to-student service in UCC

·         get to know other peer supporters and make friends

·         receive a UCC peer support training and volunteering certificate

What is required of you?

·         be a UCC student during the academic year 2011/2012

·         meet with the PASS Coordinator to discuss becoming a peer support leader, complete 2 days peer support leader training and another days training for orientation in September

·         be peer support leader to first year students throughout their first year in UCC, may include group or one-to-one contact

·         attend regular (2 hours per month) group reflective learning meetings, facilitated by the Student Counselling and Development PASS Coordinator through which further training and personal support will be available to you

Peer Support training will cover such topics as:

·         effective listening

·         communication skills

·         leadership skills

·         roles, boundaries, confidentiality and referral skills

·         being an effective peer support leader in various situations

·         speaking confidently

Closing date for applications is end January 2011

Contact Collegeroad

Email - none provided

Print this page


Other products and services from Collegeroad

05/12/2011 - Student Union Council

Some issues in recent times have been related to student printing, the library and computer facilities and resources, as well as things like the structure of the academic year and student access to non-traditional degree modules. SU Council is where the serious issues affecting the student body are discussed and solutions developed and voted upon. They can be great fun with everyone having an equal say in how they think things should be run.

05/12/2011 - Get Involved

Academic Reps will voice the concerns of students to lecturers, departments, and the Union, while Ents Reps will organize class parties and nights out for everyone to get to know each other.This year, these are two separate roles, aimed at both the serious scholar and the party animal. Class representatives (a.k.a. class reps) are elected by their class for two primary reasons. Academic and Entertainments Class Representatives.